The gateway will shortly receive commercial flights of 45/50 seat aircraft, and aims to receive 50,000 annual passengers by 2025.
The Department of Planning and Sustainability of Catalonia, the Ministry of Public Works of Spain and the Government of Andorra decided a year ago to promote all actions to transform Andorra-La Seu d’Urgell into a public airport after it was reopened in 2010 as a private infrastructure.
It has been developed so it can ensure a faster delivery, in an area where previously accessed only by road.
The infrastructure provides coverage for any type of commercial aviation wants land: handling, AFIS, meteorological services, security, fire, fuel, among others, in addition to services such as restaurant/cafe and car rentals for all days of the week.
Systems Interface, based in the UK, supplied, installed and commissioned a complete Aerodrome Flight Information Service System (AFIS) for private company Servicos Aeronáuticos Control Y Navegación SL (SAERCO), which is the first private air navigation service provider in Spain.
Installation of all equipment began in mid-December 2014 and was completed on time for the PM’s arrival, and Systems Interface supplied a suite of Frequentis products that provide an almost fully IP based solution.
1) Fully IP based VCCS, providing two controller working positions, VoIP interfacing to VHF radios and IP interfacing to the PBX and outside lines.
2) DIVOS Voice Recording system that offers fully IP based recording of all relevant voice communications
3) TAP tools control and monitoring system to provide a single interface to Airfield Lighting, Meteorological data and Alarm Monitoring.
4) Park Air T6 VHF Radios were additionally supplied along with antennas and cabling.
5) Negotiations are currently underway with carriers to begin direct commercial and freight flights from cities within the Schengen area member states.